Saturday, December 26, 2009

Urban Meyer steps down at Florida


The SEC experienced a major shockwave on Saturday as Florida head football coach Urban Meyer unexpectedly announced that he was stepping down.
"I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family," Meyer said in a statement. "After consulting with my family, [Florida president Bernie] Machen, [athletic director] Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family."
Meyer, 45, was hospitalized with chest pains on Dec. 6, the day after Florida’s loss to Alabama in the SEC championship game.
He will hold a news conference in New Orleans on Sunday afternoon and coach his final game in the Sugar Bowl against Cincinnati on Jan. 1. He has been coaching for 24 years, the last five of which were at Florida.
Meyer has a 56-10 record with the Gators, including SEC and national titles in 2006 and 2008 — the only coach to win two BCS titles. He is 4-1 against South Carolina, the sole loss coming in his first season at Florida.
Resources:
http://www.palmettoscoop.com/2009/12/26/urban-meyer-steps-down-at-florida

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related posts