Saturday, December 26, 2009

Meyer announces he is stepping down after Florida's bowl game

Citing health concerns, Urban Meyer he is stepping down as coach of Florida after the Gators play Cincinnati in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 1.
"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program,'' said Meyer in a statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family.
"After consulting with my family, Dr. (Bernie) Machen, (athletic director) Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family. I'm proud to be a part of the Gainesville community and the Gator Nation and I plan to remain in Gainesville and involved with the University of Florida."
Meyer led Florida to national championships in 2006 and 2008 during his five years at Florida, with two Southeastern Conference Championships and five straight January bowl games, including three BCS bowl games
Resources:
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2009/12/meyer-announces-he-is-stepping-down-after-floridas-bowl-game/1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related posts